Thursday, January 24, 2013

Saltwater Healing Book Launch at Doongalik!




Poinciana Paper Press is pleased to announce the launch of "Saltwater Healing" by Bahamian poet, scholar and community worker Angelique V. Nixon.

This myth memoir and poetry collection use the Bahamian landscape to explore difficult personal stories as a way to heal.

Printed in full color with a letterpress-printed cover and bound by hand, the books will be available as a limited edition offered by the press.

Please join us on Sunday February 3rd at Doongalik Studios where Angelique will share her poetry and revisit the "Saltwater Healing" art installation. Books will be available for purchase.

"My vision for this work grew out of the ways I engage with home as a Black mixed-race queer Bahamian woman living abroad. It grew out of troubled women's stories (herstories) too often left out of our "history" books. It grew out of messiness—the stuff we don't often speak about--poverty, domestic violence, drug abuse, disease, mental health, sexual trauma, sexuality, race and color, class and privilege, and environmental crisis. It grew out of my desire to speak and share hard stories through a visual medium, using a story-telling poetic form and collage of materials and found objects. And it grew out of my visits home over the years to reconnect with homespace, and this not only involved spending time with my loved ones, but also going to the sea, laying in sand, breathing in salty air, and soaking in the ocean’s healing embrace. It grew out of all the stories my grandmother told me as a young child - many which centered on the healing powers of our land and seascape. It grew out of me depending on my visits for rejuvenation, but also experiencing the difficult memories of my childhood."
 

-Angelique V. Nixon





To find out more about Angelique V. Nixon and to read more of her works, follow her here.

No comments:

Post a Comment